Conversation with a 5-year old

Near to heaven

Heaven? (Image via Wikipedia)

A wonderful blogger, WorryWart, posted The Long Story of How Liver Becomes Pâté a few weeks ago and it gave me the idea of posting this conversation that I recorded in my journal between my daughter and I from over 8 years ago.  WorryWart is a terrific blogger and I’m sure you will love her story if you haven’t already read it.  I hope you like mine.

To give you a little background, my husband’s father passed away in February 2001.  My daughter, Tink, was not quite 2 years old at the time.  She had a vague memory of her Papa, but this particular summer she seemed to be putting together that he was “missing”.  My husband, Tink and I were visiting my sister-in-law and her family and had just returned from visiting my parents.  Here is mine and Tink’s conversation from Sunday July 27, 2003 when she was 5 years old:

Tink Age 5 - Full of questions!

T= Tink    M = Me

T – Is Nana at the beach?

M – Yes

T – Who is with her?

M – Adam and June, Alicia and Jessie and Aunt Barbara.

T – Is Papa, well you know I have a Papa at Grandmama’s house and I used to have a Papa at Nana’s house?  Is he at the beach too?

M – No he’s not

T – Well where is he?

M – He’s in heaven

T – Why?

M – Because he passed away a while back when you were a baby.

T – You mean he died?

M – Yes

T – Why?

M – His heart stopped beating.

T – It just stopped?

M – Yes

T – You mean it stopped beeping? (I made a note that Tink clasped her hands over her chest and her eyes were very big.  She also thought at this age that hearts “beeped” instead of “beat”)

M – Yes

T – Maybe he got old and got dead ’cause that happens when you get old?

M – Sometimes, yes.

T – But you’re not old Mommy, you’re not old (she was shaking her head)

M – No baby, I’m not old.  (I’m not trying to compliment myself here, but to ease the mind of my child you understand)  I say I’m old sometimes but I’m not really old.

T – You say you’re old, but you’re not really old?

M – That’s right baby.

There was a short pause while her little brain tried to wrap itself around our conversation.  Then Tink narrowed her eyes and looked at me and said:

T – You mean you LIED????

Just so you know, our conversation pattern has not changed all that much 8 years later.  Enjoy the weekend folks!  I’ll be back on Monday with more random ramblings!

22 thoughts on “Conversation with a 5-year old

1. katecrimmins says:

Ah, kids. They quietly set you up and then trap you in your own words!

2. RVingGirl says:

As a mom, it is sad how often we have to “lie” to our kids….to make them eat a new dish, we lie and say it is such and such.ha ha Too cute.
    Great post.

3. Life is so wonderful and terrible all at the same time. Something I don’t think could be explained to anyone.

4. littlesundog says:

How funny… love your writing style about life. I think Tink got your witty genes…

5. Remember, they learn from the best!

6. “T – You mean you LIED????
    Just so you know, our conversation pattern has not changed all that much 8 years later.”

If this conversation happened in my house, when Tink turned 16 she would be saying, “Well you lied about being old, so why can’t I have a fake ID . . . ” They don’t need journals – they have special places in their brains where the file these things away.

I loved your post – I hope you share more from your old journals.

• EXACTLY! Why is it that teenagers can remember every little mistake we parents ever made but they swear they never heard their phone ring when we called them to check up on them, or us tell them to clean their room, or us ask them to take out the garbage . . . on and on the examples go. Thank you for the wonderful idea of sharing something from the past. This has always been my favorite moment to remember because it was so touching but so funny.

7. GOF says:

“T – Maybe he got old and got dead ’cause that happens when you get old?”

I sometimes think they have much more wisdom than we ever give them credit for. Wonderful story.

8. aig63 says:

I loved this post – and especially the comments! How quickly the conversation can turn from adorable to all-out snag! Thanks for sharing!

9. ceciliag says:

That was fantastic, i laughed out loud! Out of the mouths of babes!! c

10. Lori says:

This was great!! How sweet and funny, and how real!!